In this episode, we are joined by Stesha Gulick of Jason Phillips Nutrition and Strength by Nutrition!
We begin our discussion by diving into Stesha’s background with diet and nutrition. She talks about her experience with low carb dieting and the Ketogenic diet, and how it ultimately lead to some unhealthy eating habits and less than optimal results.
Like many of us, she experienced a perspective change when she discovered CrossFit and realized that her current eating habits were not going to cut it, if she wanted to maximize her performance.
Fast forward to present day and Stesha has radically transformed her body, quit her engineering job to start her own nutrition coaching company and is helping clients all around the country.
We had a great time talking with Stesha and she dropped a ton of knowledge. Topics include:
- The identity shift and improved self-confidence that comes from progress in the gym.
- Fueling your body to maximize performance and in doing so, improve body composition.
- How social media affects people’s expectations for training and nutrition.
- The dichotomy of training for performance versus training for aesthetics.
- The Triangle of Awareness, or the different approaches for Health/Longevity goals, Performance goals, and Aesthetic goals.
- Periodized Nutrition and a CrossFit Open athlete can structure their year to focus on each of the three goals (Health, Aesthetics and Performance) at different stages.
- How to break the cycle of eating clean during the week, but derailing your progress by binging on the weekend.
- Getting started with Flexible Dieting.
- Reverse Dieting out of a drastic calorie deficit.
- Stesha’s stance on Cheat Meals and questioning our “relationship” with food.
- And the regular Lightning Round nonsense!
This was such a fun episode and we hope you guys enjoy listening as much as we enjoyed recording it!
To Listen on iTunes, Click Here
To Listen on Stitcher, Click Here
Connect with Stesha!